
Breakfast was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. We retraced our previous journey down Tioga Road to the West side of Yosemite. Graham took this picture of me all bundled up on the trip down.

We wound our way to the Bay Area passing just north of Modesto. The riding was varied as we passed out of the Sierra Nevada Mountains into the hot, dry valley then back into the cool temps of the Bay Area. As we approached the Bay Area the traffic was terrible – construction delays and I suppose typical big city traffic. I decided to go straight to one of the spots that I wanted to visit – Alice’s Restaurant near Woodside, CA. You might remember the 1969 song titled “Alice’s Restaurant” by Arlo Guthrie. It was actually a song about an “incident” in Stockbridge, MA. There is no real tie to the song except there was an Alice that did buy this store/restaurant and she adopted some of the lyrics from the song as her theme – “you can get anything you want at Alice’s Restaurant – except Alice”. It is a popular biker, hiker and local hangout. Graham and I had lunch – he had a Harley Burger and I had a metric bike burger of some kind – only because I wanted the mushrooms, onions and Swiss cheese. This is a picture of Alice’s Restaurant.

After two nights camping and no shower, we decided that a motel was in order. We drove to nearby Redwood City and found a Days Inn. I took a long cold shower, caught up on my postings, charged my phone, made phone calls and will do laundry later. Tomorrow will be in and around San Francisco then we will head up the coast. Total miles traveled to date: 3,148.

Hi Joe,
ReplyDeleteWe are enjoying your posts and pictures. The girls have loved seeing your travels as well. I have family in the San Fransisco area (Palo Alto to be exact) Then a bunch of my family is in Sandy and Portland, OR. In case you hadn't heard- Baby Singleton is a girl- We found out on Wednesday:) Keep the posts coming- we are enjoying reading about your travels. Take care, Erin, Adam, Carter, Murphy, and Baby Girl Singleton